Wednesday 18 November 2009

Group 2's Learning Journey: Day 3

Jasmine’s Reflections for the Day

Today was a tiring day as we had classes with Mr Lim, followed by Mr Carpio just after breakfast. Although it was tiring, I have learnt more techniques which will result in me singing better and I have more confidence and courage to sing higher notes now.

I also had fun when we are playing team-building games. I got to know everyone better as I know their likes and dislikes now. At night, at the concert I heard many choirs singing. They all look so confident and their concentration was always on their conductor. I really wish that I can be like them - being able to sing with confidence and expression.

Pei Ying’s Reflections for the Day

Today, I learnt many things from Mr Carpio . He told us that if we want to make our voice more stable, it takes time and patience. It’s not a thing that can be achieved in just a week, but with time and effort.

Now I really understand that if we really want to do something we need to really try very hard to achieve what we want… everything takes time… I really wish that I can sing as well as Mr Carpio.. (:

The concert was very interesting. All the choirs can sing very well. They have confidence on stage and they have the right expression when singing their songs. That is what I can learn from them. Moreover, I think that they are very expressive and we seem to be rather lacking in this area.

Wei Yi’s Reflections for the Day

Today, I learnt many things from Mr carpio and the other schools. In Mr Carpio’s master class, he helped us with our singing techniues by answering the questions we posed. I’ve learnt that in order to project our voices, we need to use a lot of tummy muscles. He also explained more about the organs in our body. I now know that in order to sing well, the whole body needs to work well. I also learnt that everyone in the choir plays a very important role.

For the concert, listening to the other school inspired me to work very hard so that I will be able to sing as well as them. Their confidence, expression and the volume of each of the members they bring with them to the stage – these werer the things that I need to learn from them. After all the schools sang, one of the conductors taught us the dance moves for the song ‘Nobody’, which brought joy to everyone. It gave everyone the opportunity to learn and have fun at the same time.

Jessica’s Reflections for the Day

Today, I really could say from the bottom of my heart that I’ve really learnt a lot from this Master Class. Our clinician, Mr Carpio was really great, I could feel that he did have a lot of patience with us and told us about his past experience, which I think will benefit us a lot in future. Although we still forgot some of the things that we have spent a lot of time on, these classes really benefitted us a lot.

After the three master classes, the entire choir really improved a lot. The things we should improve on are using more of the tummy muscles, using the “yawning” technique before singing and taking a deep breath before singing. According to what Mr Carpio said, “singing requires 99% breathing”, so we should really try to remember and use these techniques while singing.

The concert in the evening was also beneficial to the entire choir because we had the opportunity to listen to other schools’ chorale singing. We also had the chance to watch their expressions in front of the audience and their concentration in relation to their conductor. Although it was just a two-hour concert, we could really benefit a lot.

Mdm Kiren’s Reflections for the Day

At the end of the day, I reflected on some of the things that Mr Carpio said during the master class. These are a couple of thought-provoking quotes from Mr Carpio:

“View difficulties as a challenge, as a way to improve”
“A choir is only as good as the weakest link (namely, the least good singer).”

No comments:

Post a Comment